Monday, July 7, 2008

Colour vs Black-and-White?



I took a drive this evening as the sun was shining on the fields. It's tough to get good photos were I live because it can be very flat. Luckily, I found a nice spot as I rounded a corner on a dirt road.

I like how the light coming from the west is filtering through the trees and adding shadows across the fields. This gives the appearance of depth in the photo. My only regrets are that the house on the right is slightly cut-off (due to some trees in the way) and the large pine in the background is cut-off.

Post-processing of this photo include the usuage of some blue and yellow graduated filters to bring out the blue sky and the yellows in the field. Also, a #85 Amber filter was used in order to tone down the greens. Usually, evening light over farm fields doesn't produce rich greens unless it has rained. For the black and white version, post-processing included the above and then converting to AgfaPan type b&w and implementing a red filter to really bring out the contrast in colour in the fields. This was discussed in my "Emulating Black and White" post.

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: